Are you fed up with the tasteless, boring preservative-filled sandwich bread that comes from the grocery store? Well I’m going to teach you how to make bread at home from scratch. You’re going to love this simple, quick and delicious recipe. Once you’re familiar with the process it’s only about 15 minutes total of actual Hands-On work! You’ll never want to go back to store bread after this! Check out this video and printable recipe below!
Sandwich Bread from Scratch
- 3-4 cups All Purpose Flour (360-480g)
- 2.25 tsp Yeast
- 2 tbsp Honey or Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2-2/3 cup Warm Water
- 4 tbsp Melted Butter 57g
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- Mix together the yeast, sugar & water with a whisk.
- Add in all other ingredients, reserving about 1/2-3/4 of the flour. You want to mix everything really well and add flour a little bit at a time, just until it's not overly sticky.
- Once it comes together, bring it out onto a floured surface and knead either by hand (6-8 minutes) or with a stand mixer (4-6 minutes)
- Place in original mixing bowl, cover and let rest until puffy and almost doubled in size. You can preheat your oven to 350F for 60 seconds – then TURN IT OFF – and place covered dough inside for a nice warm environment to rise in.
- Once risen, remove to a floured or greased surface, shape into a log (or whatever shape your vessel is) and put it in there to rise. 30-60 minutes depending on the warmth of your kitchen.
- Preheat oven to 350F when the dough is just about ready (you'll know it's ready when it's slightly domed about 1" above the top of the loaf pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until light golden brown. Internal temp should read 190F with a kitchen probe thermometer. You can also tap on the bottom of the loaf – it should feel hollow.
- Let it cool as long as your self-control allows you, then slice and enjoy!