Best Chili Recipe Ever – Secret Ingredient
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Sometimes, you find something so delicious, so perfect, that it doesn’t need a fancy name or catchy title accompanying it. Sometimes your creation is so perfect that you can’t speak, let alone come up with a clever intro for it. So here is my chili recipe. (Adapted from: cdkitchen.com recipe HERE )
- 2.5 lbs ground beef or 1.5 lbs ground beef & 1 lb pork or other ground meat
- 1 tbsp bacon fat
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves chopped garlic
- 12 oz beer
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp beef bullion
- 2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce (I also add a dash of Cayenne, but leave this out if you don’t want things too spicy)
- 1 can Rotel, undrained
- 1 can (12-18 oz) of chili beans, drained not rinsed
- Brown the meat in a skillet over medium-high heat until browned.
- Drain fat & discard. Remove meat to a bowl and set aside for now.
- Heat bacon grease in the skillet, add onion and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add beer and bring to a boil, scraping bottom of pan to get all the brown delicious crusties.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring back to a boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, mix the following in a measuring cup:
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 tbsp warm water
7. Add this mixture to the chili, mix well, cover and cook for another 20 minutes.
8. Serve with cornbread & butter on the side, with toppings of choice (sour cream, cheese, Frito’s, etc).
*Notes: Last time I made this, I used half ground beef & half ground steak (Tyson Grilled N Ready Steak, ground up in blender) and it was SO tasty!